If this goes through, Fang may become avaliable to download. It's enough to get the foot in the door to bring him back for good!
(pasting this in directly from tumbrrrrs)
It really has been 16 years since Fang/Nack was last seen in a Sonic game. Some have suggested that this is due to copyright reasons but this is entirely false! Fang's creator, Touma, has left SEGA but SEGA still owns the copyrights to the character (hence why they are able to give permission to Archie Comics.)
Reasons why Fang should be back in the games:
- Because besides Eggman/Dr. Robotnik, we need a villain who's a villain. Anti-heroes like Shadow are great, but variety is the spice. Nack was a great villain, was allegedly the first mobian ever to point a gun at Sonic, and whilst Shadow has taken on much of his old role, the weasel's slapstick style makes him completely different.
- He was fun, he was hilarious, and he made one of the most awesome sub-boss.
- We need someone to fulfill the role of the mischievous troublemaker that has been left pretty much vacant since Knuckles joined the heroes side. Jet and the Babylon Rogues have done this to some degree, but they are specifically crafted for the racing games and geared (pardon the pun) for their own brand of fun flight based shenanigans. Nack is more multi-purpose, he's also independent, his roles broad enough that he could easily slip into any game plot in the role of a theif or assassin either for hire or independently.
- The guy could actually stand on his tail and bounce on it and use it as a weapon. Can you imagine how fun this would be for a playable character?
- He's purple and he wears a fedora. What's not to love?
- It's been 16 years. That is a very long time.
^ Sonic and All-Stars Racing Transformed may be a racing game and a spin-off, not part of the main series, but if we can get Fang in this game that helps get a foot in the door for him to potentially make a full return to the main Sonic series.
Reasons why SEGA say they won't put him back in a game:
- Rouge already fulfills the role of Jewel thief. To bring Nack back now would encroach on Rouge's role and position in the games as he would be treading on her toes.
my response: Rouge is a jewel thief, but she does not fulfill the role of thug-for-hire that Nack could. Rouge sometimes acts like a friend to Sonic, whereas Nack's motives as selfish villain should remain clear. Also, has the though of Nack and Rouge actually working together on a mission occurred to anyone at SEGA? The potential of the two becoming colleagues or friends in the game far outweighs any possibility of endangering Rouge's role.
- After so long, there would have to be a story to explain Nack's absence from the games.
my response: SEGA PLZ. He's been in prison. He only just broke out.
- Nack would need updating to bring him in line with the current style of the character designs in the games. It would take time and care to ensure that this is done so properly in order to both keep the older fans satisfied and to appeal to the younger audience.
my response: I agree. And what better time to start than right now.
If you can get people to vote on this, please do! This is the kind of chance that doesn't come up very often and if it passes by it may be years before we get another chance to try and get him back in the game. So please, if you can, spread this about and try and get as many people to vote as you can.